Search This Blog

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Jump Off Point

I saw this photo on the internet a couple of weeks ago and it made me crack up.


Then it made me think.

How many things and experiences have I foregone or put off because of constraints that are merely in my head?

So, I did the most rational thing to do at that point.  I texted my friend and our conversation went something like this ...

Me:  I want to hike.
Him:  You know I thought about that, too, this week.  I'm just worried you might not be ready yet.
Me:  I feel judged.
Him:  ...
Me:  I will never be ready. I can do more cardio ...
Him:  Ok.
Me:  I want to do more hikes.
Him:  Ok.

A couple of days later, we were booked for Mt. Batulao (via Trail Adventours).  And "Amazing" doesn't begin to describe the entire experience.  It served as my Jump Off Point.


For someone whose days are constantly running together, the hike was a good way to slow down and breathe (fresh air, no less!).  In between serious & senseless conversations and huffing & puffing, I got to do some thinking.  These were a few of my musings.

Darkness helps us appreciate the faintest light.  

This one is a reinforcement of what the banker astronomer (who brought his big telescope to CFA Family Camping) said the previous night, "I used to be afraid of the dark, but now I love the dark --- because I can see the stars better with it."  

Starting off our hike in the wee hours of that morning, I couldn't agree with him more. The scene was breathtaking:  on both sides, citylights as far as the eyes could see; and overhead, the stars shone brightly as if trying to outshine each other. I am still "killing" myself for not having the presence of mind to take a photo.  But, in a sense, it was a natural reaction.  The few minutes we had that view was not enough to soak in its grandeur.  Why waste those precious few seconds fishing out my phone?

The first few seconds of darkness is always heart-stopping.  But just sit (or stand) still, blink a couple of times and let the stars reveal themselves.  There will always be much much more than you thought there ever were; and some, you will realize, have always been visible but you have taken for granted when your suns blinded you.

In between Huffs & Puffs, Look Up!

There were times when the trail got particularly difficult.  I trudged on looking down, concentrating on the trail.  And then I heard someone, "Wow!".  I looked up towards the direction she was looking at and caught my breath.  We were on "top of the world" and the sun was starting to peek through the horizon.  I looked around me.  It was 360 degrees of picture-perfect view.  From then on, I resolved to stop focusing too much on the trail and instead enjoy the sights more.

So, in between your huffing and puffing, look up or you'll miss the amazing view!  It is, afterall, the entire point of the hike; the only way you can come out of  it richer from the experience vs. resentful and b!%@&ing about it.

Risk the Occasional Trips and Slip-ups for the Full Experience

Linked to the above point, I soon realized, that in order to appreciate the view, I had to occasionally look up from my furrowed-brow focus on the trail ... and risk tripping, slipping or even bumping onto the person in front (thankfully, it's often just my friend's backpack taking the hit).  What is the point of coming out unscathed if you didn't get to experience the climb fully, all senses engaged?  Besides, those moments can only result to:  comic relief, quick stops, icebreakers and new friends.

Giving Up is NOT An Option. NOPE.

Mt. Batulao is categorized as an easy hike suitable for beginners, so, when I asked our trail guide how many peaks we were going to, I nearly fell off the cliff when he calmly replied, "12".  Then he made a sweeping gesture across the mountain range, finishing with a flourish at the highest peak, "That's where we're going." Then he smiled broadly, clearly proud of himself.  And I silently screamed and fainted inside.  I looked back at where we came from, assessing my options.  There is no way a helicopter can pick me up.  Nope.  Giving up is NOT an option.

And, boy, am I glad I didn't!

Sometimes you find yourself on a forlorn-obviously-less-traveled path with no visible forks or detour.  If there is no other way, then keep at it.  You only know it's bad based on the few hundred meters you can see.  But that's not where the path ends ... so you don't really know if it's bad, do you?  When there are no turns, trust that you are on the right path.  Be patient.  Keep on.  You'll be amazed at where it will take you. (Believe me, I know!)

The Highest (and Best) Peak is the Hardest to Climb (Duh!)

We took a photo at Peak 1, after which, I said,  "Peak 1.  11 more to go.  Let's do this!".  An hour and 10 million years later, I said to no one in particular, "Uhm ... I wonder when we'll get to Peak 2.  I don't think we'll reach Peak 12 at this rate."  No one in particular replied to me ... even when I asked the same thing about another hour later.  Then we came to a series of steep climbs with ropes to help us pull ourselves up.  And just when I thought I'd used up my last ounce of strength (and breath), we broke through the summit.  It was 360 degrees of lush greens, clear blue sky, soft warm sun and cool gently playful wind.  "It was worth it" doesn't quite cut it.  It was fulfilling, exhilarating, liberating, all rolled into one.

Stretched. Expanded. It was a personal breakthrough which made me feel that nothing, absolutely nothing, is impossible or insurmountable.

Choose Your Company Well

Hiking and being in Nature's embrace is a soul activity for me.  It both silences me and makes me come alive.  The Mt. Batulao hike was my first major hike, so it was sort of a make or break thing for me.  That is why choosing the person I will share the experience with was critical.  These are my criteria:

  • Someone who is enthusiastic and will make time to go on the same hike with me
  • Someone I can trust my life with
  • Someone I am comfortable to be around with in my own skin (stinky ugly and all)
  • Someone who knows when to engage me and to give me space (Net, someone in whose company I can still have precious "Me" time)
  • Someone who complements me, whose strengths compensate my weaknesses and vice versa
  • Someone I work and partner well with, who can lead or follow as the situation calls for
  • Someone who gets me; understands and knows how to deal with my quirks
  • Someone who can be honest with me and whose honesty I value enough to accept
  • Someone who knows when to push me and when to cut me some slack
  • Someone who will stick with me till the end 
Him:  "I think we should take the trike from here"
Me:  "But we're almost there.  Let's go all the way!"

30 minutes and > 1 km of walking (or crawling) later

Me:  "Uhm ... I'm sorry.  I thought it was just a short distance."
Him:  "It's okay.  We're almost there."

Use Lip Balm with UV Protection (And put some on at the start of the trek)

I got a windburn.


It goes without saying, that the trek was a success.  I made it!  We're planning our next one already. And we promised to make time for at least one per quarter.  Like the true corporate slaves that we are, we even debriefed and noted down our learnings, so that we're better prepared for the next one.

Try it.  Take a hike!

Special thanks to St. Raphael, the Archangel, for the beautifully trek-perfect weather!


No comments: