Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Bigger Bear Series: Technolgy vs. Man

If you live in the South, having an e-Pass or RFID tag is a huge convenience.  So, when my e-Pass tag died on me, I was really bummed out; half-grumbling that I'd have to line up now and anticipating the added precious minutes on the road everyday.

But then my shift takes me to the road during off-peak hours, so it isn't really a huge inconvenience. Then I noticed that I've started looking forward to the drive home at night --- because it's the senior shift at the SLEX toll stations. And, after a long day's work, their cheerful warm greetings (complete with genuine smiles) feel like a breath of fresh air.  They really pause and look at you before handing over the card.  And, for a split second, I just feel like telling them how my day went ... hahaha!

I will have to get my tag sooner or later, but, because of this, I am reminded that nothing beats actual human warmth.  No technology can beat that.

No comments: