Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2015

Reflection on Readings: "Behold Old Things Have Become New"

Last Saturday I watched a Hallmark movie, "Old Fashioned" (I recommend to watch it ... really good).  At one point in the movie the female lead (Amber) mentioned a line from the bible which struck me:  "Behold old things have become new."

And, lo and behold ... the 2nd reading today mentions something VERY similar!

"So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Right?! It gives me warm fuzzies and a silly grin.

Anyway ...

There was a point in time when I saw my faults thru a magnifying glass and it overwhelmed me immensely.  I wanted to change, but I kept falling into the same swirl and I thought, surely God cannot keep on forgiving me.  So, I decided to give up on myself completely.

Only later on did I realize that it was false humility.  In fact, it was pride.

  • I was too proud to believe that God CAN and WILL forgive me.
  • I was too proud to ask for His help to change.
There was this scene where Amber said, "I came here ready to forgive you no matter what ... You make it sound impossible."  And, I realized, that is how it is with God. I trip and I hurt Him, yet He's the one who comes knocking at my door, ready to forgive me ... and I ... make it impossible.

"Thus far you shall come but no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stilled!" (from 1st Reading - Job 38:11)

When I finally learned to lay down my pride and ask for help, He delivered. He stilled the raging guilt inside and I felt a peaceful calm; resting in His assured forgiveness and knowing, that, in my moments of weakness, He will be my strength.

"They cried to the Lord in their distress; from their straits He rescued them, He hushed the storm to a gentle breeze, and the billows of the sea were stilled.  They rejoiced, that they were calmed, and He brought them to their desired haven." (Psalm 107:28-30)

Sometimes, I still trip over (I'm a work-in-progress, afterall) and I panic.  He gives me a whack on the head and says:

"Quiet!  Be still! ... Why are you terrified?  Do you not yet have faith?" (from the Gospel - Mark 4:39-40)

But now I am secure, knowing that, if I just stick it out with Him, He will make me good as new.

"So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Corinthians 5:17)




No comments: