Search This Blog

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Reflection on Readings: Darkness is Essential


Friday's Psalms
Psalm 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
"He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage."

silence.
my first thought was silence
and then my breathing
slowly beginning to race
as i opened my eyes
--- that were never closed
blackness.
only purple blackness.
i reach out my hands
searching
is there a difference between
nothingness and void?
where am i?
WHO am i?
have i died ...
or have just begun living?


Oprah mentioned that there is no such thing as wrong paths.  And why should there be, when He is not only guiding us, but walking with us.  But why would God take us through dark valleys in the first place?  Because ...

Darkness is not only essential, but a special blessing in disguise.

  • It is only in darkness that we see and appreciate the pinpricks of light that surround us. We are able to recognize the seemingly "tiny" but constant blessings, which we take for granted.  True family and friends are given the opportunity to show us just how loved we are. 
  • It is only in darkness that we are pushed to see, and find the courage to recognize and use the light INSIDE of us, so ...  "light the fire where you are" (Corinne Bailey Rae, "Stop Where You Are") 








No comments: