Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2016

Reflection on Readings: Don't Give Up on Us ... Habang may Buhay (While There is Life) - Part I


I considered writing some other time, since I desperately need to get my body clock into the right time zone.  But the Sunday readings are too rich and relevant in several fronts, that I doubt I would be able to sleep until I've reigned in the tornado in my head into some form of writing.

1st Reading
Genesis 18:20-32
"In those days, the Lord said: “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great, and their sin so grave, that I must go down and see whether or not their actions fully correspond to the cry against them that comes to me. I mean to find out.” ...
But he still persisted: “Please, let not my Lord grow angry if I speak up this last time. What if there are at least ten there?” He replied, “For the sake of those ten, I will not destroy it.”

More often, this passage is used to talk about God's infinite mercy ... mostly in the context of saving the city for the sake of the ten who are innocent. But something about this passage always "troubled" me. My over-analyzing brain felt I was missing something.  And, after so many years, it finally dawned on me.  Sparing Sodom and Gomorrah (if there are ten innocents), is both an act of mercy and of God's faith in us.

Think about it.  If Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed - innocent and guilty alike - there really wouldn't be any issue for the innocents.  They will eventually go to heaven upon Jesus' resurrection. Sparing the cities was not just for the benefit of the innocents, but, more so, for the guilty. It gives them an opportunity to change.  But why spare the cities only when there are innocents found?  Because God believes in the capacity of the innocents to help the guilty towards the right path. Because He believes, where there is a spark of light, a fire is possible.

"I might have only one match, but I can make an explosion." (Rachel Platten, Fight Song)

Fight Song (including lyrics)

I personally know a number of people who have not only changed, but also went on to become catalysts for change for more people.  And it always, always started with at least one person believing in their capacity to change and walking with them along that difficult road.

  • One is a member of our community who got into drugs. With the support, love and faith of his family, close friends and the community, he was able to overcome it.  Now, he is making a difference as a sports coach to young boys and as a pair of eyes behind a lens for capturing special memories.
  • One used to be an "inmate" in one of the government facilities for delinquent youths.  A couple we know dedicated their lives into facilitating the psychological rehabilitation program, often acting as "parents" for these youths whose own families have given up on them.  He now has a stable job while still helping out in the program, serving as an example and an inspiration.
  • One is a relative who dappled on drugs and went around with the wrong crowd.  One incident almost cost him his life.  At that time, he felt he was incapable of getting out of the deep pit he was in.  There was an outpouring of love and support from family within the country and across other countries.  He completed his education, worked on extra certifications and is a loving and responsible family man.
There are more I know of and, I'm sure, so much more I don't even know of.  Heck!  Most lives of saints are the same way:  really rotten characters, who eventually turned 180 degrees to become great saints.  It took St. Monica 17 years of persistent prayer before St. Augustine became one of the greatest saints and Doctor of the Church.

St. Augustine - Patron of Brewers (read: Alcoholics)

Change is possible.  Change will come ... with proactive support, persistent prayer, time and, most of all, a chance to change.

"I believe that in the battle between guns and ideas, ideas will, eventually, win.  Because the ideas are invisible, and they linger, and, sometimes, they can even be true.
Eppur si muove:  and yet it moves."  
(Neil Gaiman, January 19, 2015 issue of Guardian)











No comments: