Search This Blog

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Bible Verse Challenge: Verse 1 - Isaiah 43:1-3

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. 2 When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. 3 For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."

Trials are a normal part of life.  Everyone goes through it.  But it doesn't make it any easier each time.  Often, trials make me feel like a little girl lost in the woods at the darkest hour of the night ... when all I could think of doing is to stop, hug myself or cover my head with my arms.

This verse is an immense source of comfort, thick with promise and wisdom:
  1. I am God's. Who will dare harm me?
  2. God is with me.  I can take on anything!
  3. The trials will not consume me.  I am a diamond-in-the-making!
Five years ago, I went on a silent retreat.  It opened with a Silencing exercise and a song ... God of Silence .  God's part in the duet expands this verse in a powerfully personal way for me.


"Be still the torment of the night
Will not encumber you, if you believe
My child this darkness isn't emptiness
For here I mold your heart
Unto My image painfully you long to see

The self you yearn to be, but fear to know
The world from which you flee in Me find home
All these I give you, if you remain in Me"



No comments: