Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lenten Series: Chrysalis

I read an article about butterflies on "Today I Found Out" over the internet.  Below is a snippet:
"Today I found out caterpillars’ bodies “melt” almost completely before morphing into butterflies in the chrysalis.
In order for the change from a caterpillar to a butterfly to take place within the pupa, the caterpillar begins releasing enzymes that literally digest nearly all of its own body.  What’s left inside the chrysalis is mostly just a very nutrient rich soup from which the butterfly will begin to form."

The most significant and beautiful changes take place over a long and painful period.  In a lot of cases, it is not only a gut-wrenching but a caterpillar-body-melting-in-a-chrysalis process. To top it off, we don't normally know what the heck He's working on.  He's not the type who would show us a picture of a beautiful butterfly and tell us, "That's what I'm turning you into."  No. It's always a surprise.  And sometimes, even though we know He's working on us, it just gets so painful and difficult that  it's so easy - almost a comfort - to just give up, despair and raise a fist at Him (Read:  Seriously, what the hell, God?! Tao lang!).  

When you feel like you are in a chrysalis, go through these snippets from last Sunday's readings.

First, acknowledge it.
 
1st Reading: Isaiah 43:16-21
"Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; see, I am doing something new! Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?"

Often, we do not notice (or, perhaps, take for granted) the many blessings He set in place to make the journey / morphing a wee-bit easier.  Try and keep your eyes open.  They are there.  Take comfort in them and be grateful.

"Wild beasts honor me, jackals and ostriches, for I put water in the desert and rivers in the wasteland for my chosen people to drink, the people whom I formed for myself..."

When it gets difficult, it's easy to think, "Must I go through this? I'm fine just the way I am" and even hope for things to be the way they were before.  Don't give in. Eyes on the prize!

2nd Reading: Philippians 3:8-14
"Just one thing: forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit toward the goal, the prize of God’s upward calling, in Christ Jesus."

Once He is done, rest assured that He will deliver 100% customer satisfaction and more. The blood, sweat and tears will be worth it.

Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6
"Those that sow in tears shall reap rejoicing. Although they go forth weeping, carrying the seed to be sown, they shall come back rejoicing, carrying their sheaves."

And then there should be no turning back.

Gospel: John 8:1-11
"Then Jesus said, “... Go, and from now on do not sin any more.”







No comments: