Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Mary, Mother of God



(Art taken from Internet)


Growing up, I always felt a special bond with Mama Mary.

This is probably the influence of my maternal grandmother who taught us the discipline of praying the rosary daily (promptly at 6 pm, after playing outside).  She was, in many ways, a lot like Mama Mary:  a woman of few words with a quiet strength about her (and especially in her embrace) and the ability to find humor and laugh uncontrollably even in the most difficult times.  

I realize only now, that the dynamics of my relationship with Mama Mary is much the same way.  We do not really need a lot of words.  When I feel troubled, lost or heartbroken, I find a quiet spot and wait for her to come.  With just a touch of her hand or her arms around me, I feel my soul speak in torrents, unburdening.  Sometimes I don't even realize how heavy my heart is until she touches me.  And in ways only a mother can, she makes everything alright.  No fail.

Today, at Mass, she gifted me with a warm hug that I didn't know I needed. (Needless to say, it took everything not to bawl my eyes out.  I didn't want to have to explain crying over something even I don't fully understand yet.  But it felt good).

I wrote this to honor her today - the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God.


Mama Mary

kneeling down
i groped for words
that would not come

yet she came
touched her forehead against mine
and held me

pulling at my heart
drawing feelings undefined
lifting burdens long untouched

while i sank deeper
surrendering to the rain
in the comfort of her embrace

and then she whispered
her hand upon my chest
"He has not forgotten you".

(Art by:  Megan Hagel)

#365daysofpoetry Day 1

No comments: