Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Reflection on Readings: Not Forgetful, Just Time-Sensitive

"You shall have your sunset.  I shall command it.  But according to my science of government, I shall wait until conditions are favorable."
(Antoine De Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince)

We ask like children, always wanting our wishes to be granted promptly ... even though we know there is a proper time for everything.  

I understood this even more when I became a mother.  I held off treats just before meal time to ensure that my son does not spoil his appetite.  I pushed him to finish his school work on weekdays, so that he can do more fun stuff during the weekend.  But it took a lot of ruined weekend plans before he finally got it; that cheating on his daily schedule will, in consequence, result to school work spilling over the weekend --- which means, no time for having fun.

I imagine God shaking His head right now ... because I am still stumbling over this one, pushing for what I want when I want it (NOW) and inevitably dealing with the unfavorable consequences.

And then, when I do wait (patience is not my strong suit), I often find myself frustrated at the silence or the delay.  I lose faith and fall into despair. (God must have forgotten me! Waaahhh!) But I shouldn't.  I should hold firmly onto His promise that: "He did [will do] for her [me] as He had promised ... at the set time that God had stated". 

I will have my sunset ... when conditions are favorable.

Genesis 15:1-6; 21:1-3 (or Sirach 3:2-6, 12-14)
The word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying: “Fear not, Abram! I am your shield; I will make your reward very great.” But Abram said, “O Lord God, what good will your gifts be, if I keep on being childless and have as my heir the steward of my house, Eliezer?” Abram continued, “See, you have given me no offspring, and so one of my servants will be my heir.” Then the word of the Lord came to him: “No, that one shall not be your heir; your own issue shall be your heir.” The Lord took Abram outside and said: “Look up at the sky and count the stars, if you can. Just so,” he added, “shall your descendants be.” Abram put his faith in the Lord, who credited it to him as an act of righteousness. 21:The Lord took note of Sarah as he had said he would; he did for her as he had promisedSarah became pregnant and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time that God had stated. Abraham gave the name Isaac to this son of his whom Sarah bore him. 


No comments: