Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Choose Your Rules

Art By Xenia Rassolova (La-Chapeliere-Folle)
It's been a month, since I had written anything other than my daily poetry.  But, while I had been busy, the bigger reason for my "silence" is nothing more than a rule (and its various permutations) that I had lived by ever since I was a child: First things first; or first in, first out; or finish what you start before starting something new.

I have to follow the chronological order of things.  Thus, while I would feel particularly moved to write about something, I can't bring myself to write about it until I have finished writing about something that happened before that.

For this cycle, it started with the "Inspire@P&G" series of talks for middle management.  I took down a substantial amount of notes, meaning to write about it once I had the time.  The next time I did have time was on my son's graduation.  That day I felt strongly about the graduation ceremonies and intended to write ... but I had to finish the one about the P&G talks first.  However, I was feeling "meh" about the topic and couldn't move forward.  By the time I felt like writing about my first legit hiking with my son and baby sister, I had 2 other topics to write about before I could start the hike blog.

I now have 5 topics waiting to be written. (This is not one of them).

I normally have only a one hour window to write, after I wrap up the day's work, if I still want some decent sleep.  And heaven knows I need sleep!  So, stuck and forlorn, I end up closing my laptop and sleep drowning in a sea of jumbled thoughts and emotions.  It's getting immensely cramped up there, I fear I might explode any moment now.

This simple rule has also kept me from picking up a new book if the one I am currently reading is not interesting enough.  I only diverted from this rule (when it comes to books) fairly recently.  I still feel guilty giving up on a book before I have finished it.  I feel as if I have not given the book its fair chance and have judged prematurely.  I always feel like I need to see it through, so I end up suffering through it.  At the end of it I think to myself, at least I have definitive data that I don't like it.  No what-ifs.
Art By Xenia Rassolova (La-Chapeliere-Folle)

But, then, I have wasted precious time on a book I don't like, when I could have used it reading something I like.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

BUT life is too short to waste on useless endeavors (or books ... or people).

I realize, the rule should be discretionary.  Where art is concerned, the rule only manages to restrict or hamper creativity.  There is a time for everything ... even great ideas.  It is perfectly fine to shelf these and pick them up when the right time comes.  And when the inspiration strikes, I will let myself go.  In full abandon, I will flow and let it take me where it wills.





No comments: