Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas Renewal



(Filipino Nativity:  Manny Baldemor)

Christmas this year was different, mostly because this year changed me; or, more appropriately, I had the courage to change, let go of my internal rules and just live. 

I allowed myself to take risks (within comfortable parameters, of course; too risk averse to just go all out cray cray), have fun and let loose, and deal with or revel in the consequences.  I lived my life in accordance with my values and spent my time (and resources) on things/people in direct proportion to their importance to me.

And what did I realize? 

  • There are just too many things and people that I value, and just too little time --- so I can't go around wasting time on those that don't matter to me. 
  • I want to do big things, but I have limited resources --- so I have to be more creative.
  • I have grand ideas, waiting to be executed, but it's okay to start small.  It doesn't matter the size of the step.  What matters is it's in the right direction.


And, most of all, I realized that everything depends on God and His plans.  I realized (again; slow learner; repeat student) that the key to peace of mind is complete surrender to His Will and just allowing His plan to unfold.  Swim with it and it will get you to where you ought to be. Faster.

This Christmas was a lot more quiet for me.  It came so fast that I panicked.  Thankfully, there is always the Misa De Gallo novena Masses, which had always felt like Christmas retreats for me.  The readings and homilies, that bring to light old and new learnings, help me-refocus my perspective and recalibrate where I am vs. where I want to go (cross-reference to my other blog:  Compass).  They are a good reminder, that Christmas celebrates:


  • God's Love for us:  (1) He loved us into being; (2) He loved us so much that He sent His only Son (unico hijo), not just to save us, but to show us how to Love.  "All things come to be through Him, and without Him nothing came to be."
  • Jesus opening up eternal Life to us.  He basically gave us the road map to eternal Life, paving the way and opening the door for us through His death and resurrection.  "What came to be through Him was life, and this life was the light of the human race."
  • Jesus as our Hope. So much of what is happening in the country and around the world has got me thinking "What has gotten into people?  Have we become so calloused and indifferent that we will let people and the earth just die?"  BUT "the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has NOT overcome it".   There is hope.  And, as long as there is hope, every little thing we do will add up and won't be for naught.  We will be "the spark that will ignite the rebellion" (Star Wars) which will "rage, rage against the dying of the light" (Dylan Thomas)

John 1:1-18
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; 5the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome itA man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world came to be through him, but the world did not know him. 11 He came to what was his own, but his own people did not accept him. 12 But to those who did accept him he gave power to become children of God, to those who believe in his name, 13 who were born not by natural generation nor by human choice nor by a man’s decision but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father’s only Son, full of grace and truth.15 John testified to him and cried out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘The one who is coming after me ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ ” 16 From his fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace, 17because while the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, who is at the Father’s side, has revealed him.






No comments: