Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Misa De Gallo - Day 9 (Addendum: HOLE)




We made it! And, boy, was the struggle real.  If it weren't for our list of prayer intentions, I would have gladly killed the alarm, rolled over and continued sleeping.  But we made it and it felt really good, especially since we are praying for some serious stuff.

The first reading was a head-nodder. It's nothing new, really, but it showcased how easily we are distracted by material luxuries and Man's folly at thinking he can do "great" things - in a different way.  David had thought of building a temple for the Ark of God, which had always been kept in a tent.  But God aptly pointed out to him: It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel..."  (Duh!) It was a long text of everything God had done for David and everything He planned to do for him.  But, the point is, God does not really need a grand temple.  Indeed, there is nothing we can do for God that can outdo what He has done and will do for us.  So, while it is a fitting honor, it is not as important as building a temple for Him in our hearts.  Afterall, it is all He has ever asked of us.



As our Parish Priest pointed out, all God needs is a HOLE to get into our lives, move us and turn things around.  I can't quite remember all that the acronym stood for (I'm getting old), but what stuck with me was the "O", making the daily ordinary Extraordinary by mixing in a bit of Love - because, really, "all we need is Love". (*wink*).





ADDENDUM:
So ... thanks to technology, I was able to get what HOLE stood for:

  • Hiddenness - These days social media has become an integral part of our daily lives.  But it is in the most hidden and private areas that our unmasked, vulnerable and raw parts reside.  That is where God wants to be.  That is the part God wants to hold and loves the most.
  • Ordinariness - The daily ordinary that we can turn into Extraordinary with Love.
  • Lowliness - It is only when we recognize our lowliness, that we become more open to God's courtship.  In humility we become more malleable to His beautiful hands that mold us. 
  • Emptiness - For only when we completely empty ourselves, can God fill us - full to the brim and overflowing (siksik, liglig at umaapaw).
2 Samuel 7:1-5, 8-12, 14, 16


When King David was settled in his palace, and the Lord had given him rest from his enemies on every side, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am living in a house of cedar, while the ark of God dwells in a tent!” Nathan answered the king, “Go, do whatever you have in mind, for the Lord is with you.” But that night, the Lord spoke to Nathan and said: “Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: Should you build me a house to dwell in? “‘It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you went, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. And I will make you famous like the great ones of the earth. 10 I will fix a place for my people Israel; I will plant them so that they may dwell in their place without further disturbance. Neither shall the wicked continue to afflict them as they did of old, 11 since the time I first appointed judges over my people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies. The Lord also reveals to you that he will establish a house for you. 12 And when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make his Kingdom firm. 14 I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. 16Your house and your Kingdom shall endure forever before me; your throne shall stand firm forever.’ ”


No comments: