Search This Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Misa De Gallo - Day 2


My son had another pleasant surprise at Mass when the Responsorial Psalm was read.  His eyes widened and mouthed "Magnificat!".  Mary's song is part of our daily prayers and he felt very proud knowing it as it was being read.

Luke 1:46-48, 49-50, 53-54
R: My soul rejoices in my God.
46 My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; 47 my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48 for he has looked upon his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed. (R49 The Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. 50 He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation. (R)53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 54 He has come to help of his servant Israel for he has remembered his promise of mercy. (R)
Although Mary's Song is one of my favorite prayers, this time it was the Gospel and the homily that resonated with me.

John 1:6-8, 19-28
A man named John was sent from God.He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light.19 And this is the testimony of John. When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to him to ask him, “Who are you?” 20 he admitted and did not deny it, but admitted, “I am not the Christ.” 21 So they asked him, “What are you then? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.” 22 So they said to him, “Who are you, so we can give an answer to those who sent us? What do you have to say for yourself?” 23 He said: “I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, make straight the way of the Lord, as Isaiah the prophet said.” 24 Some Pharisees were also sent. 25 They asked him, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ or Elijah or the Prophet?” 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water; but there is one among you whom you do not recognize, 27 the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie.” 28 This happened in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
The point of the Gospel is that John is not the Christ.  He is merely preparing the way for Christ Himself.  (I am reminded of this everytime we passed by the street sweepers on our way to Mass. Hidden figures making sure the roads are clean before first light.)

Christmas Season is such a big event for us, Filipinos.  We have so many customs and traditions that truly make it the Season of Giving.  And it's good.  But, sometimes, all of the festivities distract us from the true essence of Christmas, which is Christ's birthday.  

The second point that struck me was that John is the "voice in the desert".  I picture desert as a desolate and quiet place, very different from all the merriment and parties.  Amidst all the festivities, may we find a quiet place where we can listen to John's voice.  (For me, that has been the Misa De Gallo).  Afterall, Jesus is the reason for the Season.













No comments: