Search This Blog

Friday, December 22, 2017

Misa De Gallo - Day 1



For years, my sister and I have kept the tradition of going to the Misa De Gallo (or Simbang Gabi or Misa De Aguinaldo - Dawn Mass) novena Masses leading up to Christmas.  My son had joined us sporadically.  At first, he just wanted to go wherever Mama and Auntie goes; then it depended on whether we would eat early morning breakfast at either one of his favorite restaurants afterwards.

This year I talked to him about why we go to Misa De Gallo and was hoping he would go out of his own volition.  I said, if he ever decides to go, it should be with his whole heart; otherwise, it would be useless.  I promised to wake him up and let him decide.

December 16 morning was the first day. Dutifully, I knocked on his door and woke him up.  He said, "I'm not ready to go po.  I don't have a full heart po.  Maybe tomorrow po."  I said, these are novena Masses, so he needed to start from the very first day.  He came, half-heartedly.


At Mass, I could tell the kid was struggling ... and then we stood up for Gospel Acclamation:

"Alleluia, Alleluia.  Come, Lord, bring us Your peace that we may rejoice before You with a perfect heart.  Alleluia, Alleluia."

He shot an amazed look my way and I smugly flashed him my best "I-told-you-so" smile (sometimes my son thinks I'm savant; sometimes I play it up, but most of the time I thank God for the gift of mother's instincts).  I made a mental note to process it with him later.  But, since errands overtook me, I just managed a text message (yes, we leverage technology that way):  "Sometimes the heart needs a little prodding/push.  I'm glad you came this morning.  I think you are, too, right?"  To which he replied, "Opo" (Yes).

But, for me, the important part was when our parish priest, Fr. Lambert, effectively set it up for my son (and everyone in attendance) by breaking down the different facets of the Dawn Mass.

  1. Misa De Gallo (Gallo = Tandang = Rooster).  Historically, it is called Misa De Gallo because it happens at the crack of dawn, when roosters welcome the new day.  This primarily catered to farmers who had to start working on their fields before the sun rose.  Thus, it is a Mass to kickstart our day.
  2. Simbang Gabi (Evening Mass).  The Mass happens while most are still asleep; while the sky is still dark.  Picture how this happens in the fields, where there is little electricity.  Farmers waking up and walking in the dark towards the church with just their lamps. Pinpricks of light slowly coming together towards the church.  Also, for our chosen time slot - 5:30 am, it is symbolic that, when we enter the Church it is still dark.  But, when the Mass ends, there is already some light as we step out of the Church --- much like how it is when Christ came into the world in darkness and brought it into the light.
  3. Misa De Aguinaldo (Gift).  It is, first and foremost, a gift. The Mass is a channel for the outpouring of Christ's blessings and graces on those attending AND everyone they are praying for. (Another amazed look from my son to me.  We had listed down everyone we wanted to pray for.  Sometimes someone else has to confirm it before he believes anything I say).  Even the readings attest to this.  All the circumstances around Samson's, John the Baptist's, and Jesus' birth are impossible.  And, yet, they happened --- so ask in faith BOLDLY!
  4. Novena Masses. We attend the Mass for 9 consecutive days.  Anything done consistently and consecutively creates a habit.  The assumption is that, since these are Masses, what we learn translates into our lives, creating positive habits and enabling a slow but sure change for the good.
  5. In honor of Mary.  The Masses honor the 9 months during which Mama Mary awaited the birth of her Son, Jesus Christ.  In these 9 days, we walk with her in hopeful anticipation and faithful preparation for the second coming of Jesus.

After the homily, I noticed a renewed fervor at how my son participated in the Mass.  He was genuinely happy on our drive back home having found rhyme and reason (other than breakfast out) for waking up extra early just to attend Misa De Gallo.

No comments: