Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2018

Bigger Bear Series: No Plan Means God's Plan

Lent this year just flew by ... as with all my days lately.  Before I knew it, it was already Holy Week and I had done very little in terms of contemplation.  I also wasn't able to check out any of the Lenten retreats, much less book for one. So, I asked my parents about their plans, but they are taking this opportunity to rest and recharge.  Sounds like a good plan to me!  

During lunch my parents talked about having a very good confession and consultation with our friend priest, who visited the night before.  As I was at work, I wasn't able to confess. My sister and my son were both unwell and retired early for the night, so they were unable to confess as well.  I thought it would be a good activity for the day.

We had late lunch, so, by the time we got to Church, it was already cut off time for the confessions.  (I was happy to see that a lot of people came to confess that the ushers had to cut off the confessions).  The usher saw the look of disappointment on both my son's and my face, so she said, "Why don't you just attend the Mass?  That is why we had to cut off the confessions, so the priests could prepare".  We had a few more minutes to prepare ourselves for Mass and ample time for my sister to join us. I thought, good idea!

The Mass was beautiful and meaningful.

Up until now, I never really fully appreciated the significance of Holy Thursday.  Our family would always be on the road on this day for Visita Iglesias.  Thus, I am grateful that we had the opportunity to take part in the final Mass before Easter, when we commemorate the following:

  • The Last Supper.  This was when Jesus instituted the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist, where He offered Himself as the sacrifice.
  • Transubstantiation.  This is the basis of the Catholic belief that the host and the wine are truly transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ.
  • Washing of the Feet.  When Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, He established the Sacrament of Holy Orders.  His disciples became the first priests.
    • Servant Leadership.  In the washing of the feet, Jesus modeled and stressed the importance of servant leadership. Whoever leads will serve the people he is entrusted with.
  • Praying at the Garden of Gethsemane, Mount of Olives.  The procession of the Blessed Sacrament to the "Altar of Repose" was particularly solemn.  Here, we remember when Jesus went to pray at the Garden of Gethsemane, accompanied by His disciples and fully aware of the impending betrayal by Judas.  From this specific moment in Jesus' life, He taught us to keep vigil with Him through the Blessed Sacrament.  Here, I echo what Mother Teresa said, "The time you spend with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is the best time you will spend on earth." I coundn't agree more.  I believe it is one of Jesus' best gifts to mankind.
After the Mass, we were already hungry, so my sister suggested to have dinner somewhere near.  We decided to eat at Nanbantei.  On the way there, we came across a display setup on the various Miracles of the Eucharist throughout the centuries, supporting the doctrine on Transubstantiation. (No, I don't believe in coincidences.  This was setup so that we will see it on the very day the Holy Eucharist is commemorated.  How amazing is that?!).  That is why I wasn't surprised, that when we were about to enter the restaurant, I turned around to see that I lost my son to the exhibit.  He was enthralled.  (I knew then it was meant for him).  I had to promise we will give him ample time after dinner, before he tore himself from the article he was reading. 

When we came back to the setup, we separated and read different articles and pointed interesting ones to each other.  On the drive back and in the house, I leveraged on his interest to debrief him on everything that transpired at Mass and Transubstantiation.

Who would have thought we would have a very meaningful Holy Thursday?  Sometimes it's better not to stress over plans and just allow God's (much better) plan to unfold.  

No comments: