Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Dreamwalking: The Visitor

I blink my eyes open and find myself lying down at the edge of a huge bed with two other women. They are both asleep.  I hear a rustling and look up.  A man sits on a chair by the bedside.

"What are you doing?", I ask.
"I'm watching you," he says.
"Have you been here long?" I ask.
"Been here awhile," he shrugs.

I sit up to look at him properly, since I'm straining my neck.

"There is a flower ... ", he starts tentatively, "I think that she has tamed me ..."

I perk up at the familiar line. I say nothing and he continues.

"I traveled through life and met a number of flowers, all roses, all beautiful.  Yet I found myself telling each one ---

You are beautiful, but you are empty.  One could not die for you.  To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you - the rose that belongs to me.  But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing.  Because she is my rose."

And then it clicks.

"The Little Prince!", I exclaim. He smiles.

"Wherever I am, I look up at the stars and think:  The stars are beautiful, because of a flower that cannot be seen," he finishes and looks at me.

I hear soft music playing.  "Do you hear that?" I ask. He strains to listen.

... It's been so long / I don't know what to say / I've traveled 'round through deserts on my horse / But jokes aside /  I wanna come back home / You know that night / I said I had to go / You said you'd meet me on the sunny road ...

I stand up.

"It's time, meet me on the sunny road", I whisper as I take a step towards him and look up to brave his eyes.

We stand just an inch apart, looking at each other, breathing ...

1, 2, 3 ...

We kiss.

I blink my eyes open and find myself lying on my bed, facing a blank wall.


No comments: