Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2015

Not In the Cards

"And what about kids?", I asked.
"Oh, it's not in the cards for us", he said.  I looked at my brother sideways and saw the pained look.  He was the one who always wanted kids.  I was always the free-spirited one.  That's why we hadn't talked in 10 years.  I left for Italy the day after he got married.  He had a new adventure to embark on ... and I wanted one of my own.
"It is now," I said, "looking back at my sleeping 3-year old."
"Jane ..." he started.
"I know. I know!  It's only for a few months until I find myself a stable job and a place suitable for a jumping jelly bean!"
We laughed, like the old times. 
"I noticed he's a handful", David said, rolling his eyes.
"Just like you," I said, sticking my tongue out, "that's why I named him after you."
"You know I have no problem taking him.  It's just ... I haven't talked this with Sarah yet.  Let me talk to her first, okay?" I nodded, looking out the window.
"Do you remember what mom used to tell us?' I asked.
"About what?"
"God would not plant a desire in my heart that cannot be realized"
"St. Therese of the Child Jesus.  Yeah," he said.
"When do you stop hoping and start accepting your fate?" I brushed a stubborn tear that managed to escape.
He massaged my neck and my lips quivered as the full onslaught came.
"I just wanted someone who will hold me for the rest of my life," I managed between sobs.
"An Italian," he said and we both cracked up as I punched him playfully.
"I think God mixed up our fates," I said.
"I think He did it on purpose," he said. He had tears in his eyes as he pulled me close for a quick hug.
"I bet He did," I said.
"We're good," he said.
"Awesome."

No comments: