Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lenten Series: Feb 25



3 Things I learned about God's mercy from today's readings:

  1. God wants to forgive us. Why else would he pester Jonah and go to great lengths (a whale's belly - hello?!) to warn Nineveh, if He didn't want to forgive them? This one's a parenting tactic I am all too familiar with.Sometimes I act very angry at my son to send a point across or to impose discipline. Then I arrange for one of my sibs to talk to him and persuade him to ask for my forgiveness --- because I can't stay angry at my son. I doubt God could, too.
  2. He's a sucker for true conversion of the heart. Forget about the sackcloths, ashes and all other forms of repentance. God relented when He saw that Nineveh turned from their evil ways. Actions speak louder than words. Substance.
  3. No sin is unforgivable. NONE.

From 1st Reading - Jonah 3:1-10:
"...when the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast and all of them, great and small, put on sackcloth ... [decree of the king] 'every man shall turn from his evil way and from the violence he has in hand' ... When God saw by their actions how they turned their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; He did not carry it out."


From Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19: (Again)
"A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me ... My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit, a heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not spurn."


Gospel Acclamation: (I don't know about you, but this passage gives me such positive feels. It's as if He is begging to forgive us. All we have to do is to go back to Him)
"Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart for I am gracious and merciful."

No comments: