Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lenten Series: Mar 22



What is your purpose? Something about Holy Week triggers this kind of existential questions.

From March 22's 1st Reading - Jeremiah 31:31-34:
"I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people ... All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the Lord, for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more."


Sometimes, though, God's will can be so different from how we envisioned our life to be, it's hard to believe ... and harder to follow. And then we question free will and how that could possibly work if we are only ever allowed to do God's will and not ours. Before I give my opinion on free will, we must ground ourselves on some concepts:
  1. We are born out of (because God loves us) and for (because God also loves everyone else) love.
  2. He created us for a purpose.
  3. That purpose ties in with everyone else's. We are part of one hugely complex but wonderfully beautiful puzzle.
  4. He built into us everything we will need to fulfill that purpose.
  5. Our failure to fulfill our purpose does not just leave us empty, but impacts all of humanity as well.
 Free will is the freedom to do God's will without being weighed down by human standards of success, perfection and by selfishness. And, in doing God's will, :
  1. We are able to use and hone the talents He had equipped us with
  2. Which enables us to become the best versions of ourselves
  3. Which leads us to self-actualization
 It's time to stop resisting and give ourselves over to God's will.
"The only thing more painful than being an active forgetter is to be an inert rememberer." (Everything is Illuminated: A Novel, Jonathan Safran Foer)

From the Gospel - John 12:20-33:
"I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit ...
I am troubled now. Yet what should I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But it was for this purpose that i came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10V_Z0_udjg

No comments: