Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lenten Series: Mar 25



"I did not utter a thing, so that he would persevere. This was so difficult at times, because there existed so much silence ...
But I understanded [sic] understood that the silence was necessary for him to talk ... With my silence, I gave him a space to fill."

(Everything is Illuminated: A Novel, Jonathan Safran Foer)

In the Gospel verses that provide us a glimpse of Mama Mary, we would often find her "pondering" (for me this means: being still and allowing oneself to be filled) about situations and events. I doubt she was trying to figure out the entire plan ... for who can fathom God's plan and wisdom? But, I bet, she was actively listening to what God was revealing to her at that very moment. She might get clarity on what He wants her to do then, but likely did not fully comprehend the "why". For each of those times, her response was consistent: She obeyed anyway.
Hats off to her! Wonder when I will ever get to that point of perfect filial trust and abandonment ...

From the Gospel - Luke 1:26-38:
"... pondered ...
... for nothing is impossible for God.
Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word."

No comments: