Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lenten Series: Feb 27



"I thought I'd be the really cool mom. Take her to concerts. But then one day, I realized, there is no such thing as a cool mom; that the cool mom is really just the bad mom; or the mom has become a joke ...if you treat somebody bad enough, you just assume they'd be happy to let you go ..." (Annika's mom, Laggies)

Being a mom is not easy. There are times I see myself face-to-face with some unrecognizable monster, bearing down on my son with a tongue sharper than any knife (or lightsaber - in his current language). Yet, each time, he welcomes me back with open arms, open heart and a clean slate. Where faults are concerned, he is Dory-brained, quick to forget and quicker to forgive. Sometimes he is even the one wooing me --- much like God.
Sometimes I feel like an art student, learning to paint by numbers. Not fully understanding everything, I start putting in my own artistic touches. Then I realize what a mess I've made (face palm moment). I resolve to follow the numbers ... then God hands me a new canvass. Each time. It feels like a vicious cycle, but He hands me a clean canvass anyway ... because He knows I'll get it right somehow, sometime.

From Friday's 1st Reading - Ezekiel 18:21-28
"Thus says the Lord God: If the wicked man turns away from all the sins he committed, if he keeps all my statutes and does what is right and just, he shall surely live, he shall not die. None of the crimes he committed shall be remembered against him; he shall live because of the virtue he has practiced."


Gospel Acclamation:
"Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, sayd the Lord, and make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit."

No comments: